Friday, June 18, 2010

Tough.

Today is our last day with our kids. Talk about surreal. It's like when we first got here all over again. Only then, it was surreal in a different way. We were just going on a vacation to China. It didn't settle that we were staying for a while until we were settled. And now... we're here, in Zhongshan, and it's our home. It's been home for 6 months. It feels like we're just going to America to visit, then we'll be back to school in another week. Back again on Monday morning looking down at my class of big brown hopeful eyes & huge smiles & laughs. I can't imagine never seeing my kids again. That sounds dramatic but really? It will be the case with most if not all of them. I can give my contact information and promise to keep in touch, but will they remember me? Will I physically see them again? I don't know. I see them and I think about what their lives have in store for them. Will they be happy, successful? I'm sure they will but along with that will come the pains and struggles and trials that life tends to throw at us, and I just hope that somehow I've been able to teach them something that will help them through those times and help them to be happy. It has been really special being here and watching our kids every day progress more and more. To watch their personalities develop and grow. I have definitely developed a unique and meaningful love for each one of them. And not just the kids, but the Chinese teachers as well. We've been so blessed to have worked with such wonderful people.

I just want to make a deal and sign a contract with their parents that says, "you taught my children for 6 months so in return we will send you monthly updates and pictures and let them call you, email you, etc. etc. etc." ha. But... I'm afraid not.
What a fun time though. I've loved every minute of it.
. . . And I want to adopt a Chinese baby someday.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say that I've been in your exact shoes, but I have been in similar situations. I worked with a group of kids for over a year and then the day came for me to move on. I was sad, yes. But I learned from each child and I hope I have influenced their lives as I'm sure you have your kids. There will be a new batch of kids in your life and they will cherish you as much as the first. Best of luck in all you do Sarah!

    ReplyDelete