Tuesday, June 15, 2010

6.14.10

Mmmm. Today was another one of those days that you just smile at the end of and think 'what a great day!' Our apartment woke up and went for a run. We did the Kaiyin loop and finished at the Baozi noodle shop by the school. We got Baozi for breakfast and came home for a quick shower before we caught the bus.
We took the bus into the stadium and walked to the school where we met Tina and Cherry. They walked with us to Wendy's house. Vicki, JoJo, and Jesse were all there, and Tina and Cherry came with us. It was so fun to see Wendy outside of school and meet her husband and her little baby girl. Her daughter is stunning. She is a beautiful little girl. We asked Wendy if she had an English name and she told us that there was no English name beautiful enough for her. :) I thought that was so sweet.
Lunch was grrreat. We sat and made jaozi together around the kitchen table (of course because that is what everyone does in China, and I absolutely love it... date night all the way :) and then we all sat around the table in the living room and ate. Wendy and her in-laws that live with them were so great. They fixed so much food for us, and it was all wonderful. Well there was one dish that Abby and I ended up spitting out under the table but no one saw, mei wen ti. We had noodles, jaozi, corn soup, and a handful of other small dishes.
Was embarrassing, now funny story: The table we were sitting around was a big round table in her living room and it was about the height of a coffee table, it was not big so we just sat on small plastic stools. We were eating and I was backing up my chair trying to just scoot back away from the table and one of the legs of my stool caught the grout in the tile and it gave way beneath me. :) So the legs came out from underneath it and it and I fell together to the floor. But! No problem. The embarrassing part is that the whole table of people... Jillie, Jaimie, Shaila, Brianna, Kelle, Abby, Tina, Cherry, Jo Jo, Vicki, Jesse, Wendy, Wendy's husband and her in-laws all just saw that the chairs legs came out from under me and collapsed. They didn't see me scooting back, they didn't see it catch the tile... they just thought I was a fatty American whose weight couldn't hold the one stool I was given. SO.... to make the situation worse, Wendy gets up frantically and runs to get another stool and she doubles it up for me. SHE DOUBLED IT UP FOR ME! What the? Oh my gosh. Really? I was sooo embarrassed. So terribly embarrassed. Not to mention a heavy shot to my self esteem. :) I got over it. Eventually.
Wendy's little girl was so cute and sweet. And for anyone who knows me, I LOVE babies, and I totally get baby hungry around them. I think people don't let me hold their babies, or hope I won't ask because their scared I'll steal them :) I probably would. Especially this little girl, she was adorable. Anyway, so I went over to JoJo who was holding her at the time and kind of just patted her little back and started talking to her. She starting SCREAMING at the top of her lungs and everyone in the room, all the eyes just shifted to me as if to say, 'what did you do?' Again... so embarrased. And every time the baby got anywhere near me she would do the same thing. The grandma had to take the baby outside or out of the room to calm her down every time it happened. Oh brother. :)
It was such a great afternoon. These last couple of weeks here are getting harder and harder. The thought of leaving and not seeing these great people we've built relationships with, worked with and spent so much time with for the last 6 months is really tough, and so sad. So any time we get to spend with them is very treasured. We love it.
Kelle, Abs and I went shopping after that with Jesse and JoJo. They wanted to take us out. We really didn't buy anything, we just did a lot of looking but it was fun being out with them.

A good good day.

1 comment:

  1. oh good......another good day in China. Glad to hear...You stinker. I can't believe that you have been in CHINA for the last 6 months. Whaaaa? Amazing...8 days left love.

    ReplyDelete