Monday, July 5, 2010

My Experience in China...

I couldn't wait to come to China. My brother lives here, I love to travel and I love kids. It seemed like the perfect... ideal 6 month get away from life. School, work(or the lack therof) social life (or lack therof), just reality. I saw it as an escape of sorts where I would be in another country experiencing incredible things and developing new friendships. And it's has been all this and so much more.

Teaching was not at all what I expected. It was and is a much more difficult thing that I expected. Which... has made it a more challenging experience but also more rewarding simultaneously. I LOVE the kids. I really enjoy kids to begin with which is a big reason why I decided to come and participate in the program, but I have grown to absolutely love and adore these kids. It's been unique because teaching the kids every day has given us the opportunity to spend time to get to know each of their little personalities and see and watch them learn and improve as the semester has progressed. It is incredible to see the change. I have loved getting to know the Chinese teachers we work with. They are funny, and beautiful, and sweet, and I'm so happy we've been able to develop some friendships with them. I wouldn't trade my experience here in China for anything. It has truly been a splendid experience.

There are some things I've learned being here that I will hopefully take back to America with me and it can help me to become a better person.
Not that this one will necessarily make me a better person, it's just something to keep in mind. Public transportation is nothing to be scared of. I don't think before this experience I would just hop on a city bus to go somewhere, but... the first thing I'm doing when I get home is looking up the local bus schedule.
Walking and riding a bike is definitely doable for distances that I would normally drive.
I plan on being more spontaneous. Live a little, ya know. Travel. Take weekend trips, it's so worth it. It may not seem like a lot of time for a trip, but really? We only live once, and there is so much to see and do. Just jump in the car and go! Take advantage of the opportunities. Work hard and go enjoy the beauty.
The gospel is so much easier to share than we think it is. Really. Being in a country where we are forbidden to speak about our beliefs and religion makes you want to even more, and there are just as many people in America waiting to hear about it as there are in China.
Traffic rules are optional. Probably won't apply this one in the States. :)
Gratitude has a whole new meaning in my life. I think everyone has their own individual experiences that somehow change their lives in one way or another... 'eye opening' some would say. This has definitely been an eye opener for me. We can never be too grateful. Ever. I feel so blessed to have been able to have come here and be where I've been, see what I've seen and do what I've done. It's been an incredible thing.
Nothing is more important than helping someone else. The Chinese people are so kind. It is never too big a thing that you will ask. They will always help you. And not just the first step, but they help you until you are completely helped.
I've just learned to love walking, and walks. I love evening walks. To just walk and see and enjoy the beautiful-ness around you. It is so great. I'm going to take more walks. And enjoy it!
I've learned to love. I loved before I came to China, this is a different kind of love. More of an unconditional love if you will. To have a class of 8 kids and look at them all in the eyes and feel nothing but complete love for each one of them, to walk down the street and feel nothing but love for every one of the people I passed. I learned to see every one I came in contact with as a brother or sister.
Kindness is easy. It takes so much more energy to be angry, irritated, annoyed, frustrated, etc. Why not just be happy, and kind. Serve those around you, especially the ones that tend to make you go crazy. You will learn to love them. I did. :)
I have obtained a real love and deep appreciation for my country. Spending time outside the country tends to do that to you. Our country isn't perfect. It certainly has it's flaws... but I know that our country was founded by men of God. Our Father in Heaven was involved in the founding and establishment of our great nation and I feel so blessed to have been born into my country at the time that I was.
I feel like I've learned to have an open mind to things. I'm more open to learn. I had a roommate here that I think struggled with 'not knowing'. She couldn't ever say "i don't know" which I struggled with but she helped me to self evaluate myself and I realized that too often I think I am afraid of not knowing, and being naive. But there is nothing wrong with 'not knowing'. That is what this life is all about. How boring would life be if we knew everything. We are here to learn and there is nothing wrong with that. I love learning new things. :)
Independence is important. It is fun and comfortable to be with others and have them there to do things with etc, but in some aspects of life, we have to do things independently to experience it for ourselves and gain something from it for ourselves individually. This experience was so great for me in that sense, and in more ways than just one. Mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Also, I learned along with independence, that people need people. The girls I went to China with are all incredible. Each one of them touched me in one way or another at some point during the last 6 months. I have learned something from every one of them. I needed them. I believe that they were possibly one of the reasons I went to China. It has made me want to reach out and be there for someone else who is in need of someone.
I have learned so much spiritually. Never before this have I ever studied my scriptures more diligently, or prayed more fervently, or depended on my Savior more than I have in the past six months. The Book of Mormon is so great. It is certainly here for our learning and benefit and I have LOVED reading and studying it's words. I have never really enjoyed reading it like I have. I look forward to reading it now, and that makes me sooo happy. Prayer is such a comfort. I felt like I had to depend on my Heavenly Father and my Savior far more than I ever have during this experience... especially in the beginning. I struggled with teaching, and other things and I found myself constantly communicating with my Father in Heaven and I am so grateful for that. I have loved becoming closer to Him and my Savior Jesus Christ.

Thank you China for such a great experience.
Wo ai Zhonguo.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I feel so grateful to know you and to have been able to associate with you these past 6 months and really become best friends. I will always treasure the experiences that we had over in China together. I loved this post because I love hearing of your testimony and the things you have learned and it makes me think about what I have learned even more. I can feel your heart when I read this. Thank you for being a blessing in my life. I will continue to read your blog because it makes me happy. You make me happy. :)

    Oh yeah, and I love the favorites list! hehe

    ReplyDelete